Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Stories - I Have Stories!

Being a deejay is almost like being a hidden camera.  You get to see things that most of the guests have no idea are going on in the background.  There are happy things, sad things, things that make you scratch your head.  And all you can do, basically, is sit and watch and keep the music going.  Let me give you some examples:

I was deejaying a very upscale wedding at a country club.  Everything was picture perfect.  However, weddings can be a strange dichotomy – bringing together two families.  But, sometimes you can also have one or both parents remarried (on both sides).  That makes a LOT of families coming together (and a lot of egos).  In this instance the father of the bride had recently married a woman just slightly older than his daughter.  A striking woman.  A head turner (I believe that term is still used?)  During the evening we had been requested to start a limbo line.  Most of the guests were partaking in this activity and having a great time.  Then I started noticing that a HUGE majority of the men were now standing in front of me, facing the limbo-ers coming under the pole AND THEY HAD BIG GRINS ON THEIR FACES.  Why could this be, I wondered?  I watched for a while and then found my answer.  Every time Dad’s new wife would approach the pole, she’d raise her cocktail dress higher.  And higher.  And higher.  She wasn’t wearing any underwear.  None.  Zippo.  Nada.  Good times. 

There was the time where our bride and groom did not want to cut the cake until after dinner (which is typical in most places).  Everyone was close to finishing their meals, and I decided to check with the banquet manager to make sure her staff would be ready to cut the cake.  Then I noticed there was no cake.  I wandered around.  I mean, how hard is it to lose a cake?  A big white one?  I meandered into the kitchen and found three kitchen staff members standing around it.  They were slicing it to serve it to he guests.  I brought to their attention that the bride and groom need to make the first slices.  Without saying a word, these women started fitting the cake back together - like a jigsaw puzzle – then using their fingers to smear the icing around the cut marks.  They brought the cake back out to the dining room and made sure to position the defaced portion of the cake into the corner.  No one was the wiser. 

Being the host of the party is an important one.  You want to make sure your guests are having a good time, and you want to make sure YOU are having a good time, as well.  John and I have always felt it important that, as the host, you should make sure your guests have a say in the music being played.  They feel a part of the festivities that way.  Yes, it is your day, but you need to think about them, also.  So… we end up with an event where our client wanted funk.  5 HOURS OF FUNK.  Now, you have to realize, I am a child of the 70s.  I love disco.  I love funk.  But 5 hours of non-stop funk?  We were funked out.  Two grandmothers approached us to play something else.  We tried.  We really did.  Half way through “Brown-eyed Girl” (their request, mind you), the hostess came over and told us we weren’t playing funk.  She wanted more funk.  *deep sigh*  All I can tell you was that on the way home, the only way I could come up with “de-funking” was to make John play some Barry Manilow on the car stereo.  (What, you think I’d make him listen to Lawrence Welk?)

So ends story time for today, kiddies.  Have fun out there.  And don’t overdo the funk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment